Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ensign Advice

So next months Q&A is marriage advice that you were given. And this made me think of a funny story that most likely wouldn't get published but it was funny to me. For those of you who don't know my story with Jeremy count yourself lucky. You probably think he fell head over heels for me instantaneously and dropped down on one knee the moment he laid eyes on me, just like all the other guys. But unfortunately for me that wasn't the story at all. I think he knew he liked me but Jeremy has come to understand that I don't appreciate those things that come way too easy for me so he in his pure genius decided that I had to work for him. I honestly believe he was the first guy I thought wasn't interested enough in me. Not to sound conceded or anything like that but when I dated a guy by the second date I usually knew I had the guy hook line and sinker and could then pull and tug on his heart strings as I desired. (Yes I'm a terrible person but don't worry pay back wasn't too much fun for me.)
When Jeremy and I realized that we were dating we had probably been "dating" for well over a month. I guess it was hard for me to realize thats what we were doing because I was actually dating 2 other guys around the same time and when I was tired of playing the whole dating game I would go hang out with Jeremy because dang he was cool. I felt so relaxed and like I didn't have to put on this whole "look at me I'm so cute" game. We would go do stupid things like midnight burger king runs (seriously I was addicted to the double cheeseburger). We would watch movies and just hang out it was just a chill environment. Anyhow like started turning into more stuff and every time I was on a date with another guy I was thinking about him and every time I heard about him going on a date with another girl I was like what the heck why hasn't he asked me out. Then one night after we had finished watching a movie and all the other guys had gone to bed and it was just me and Jeremy we kissed. I'll never forget leaving his place that night knowing I would never ever kiss another guy. (everyone can sigh now and let out that little ahhh sound.) Anyhow Jeremy wasn't as sure as I was through out the whole relationship hence him breaking up with me a month after the first kiss. But after 3 days he came back to his senses and came back Then there was another break-up and a come back. And then finally the 3rd time I thought he was breaking up with me he was actually saying lets think about getting married but for some reason that wasn't what I heard but he smoothed out that bridge really quick and let me know that he really did want to marry me. *Sigh* then he went to Cincinnati for the summer, Somehow through major long phone calls, and some emails and me really honestly having no desire to date anyone else ever again we made it.
I flew out to Cincinnati, Jeremy had convinced me that it would be best to wait to get engaged until after he came back to Logan, but I was so excited to see him anyhow. I at the time had no idea how tricky Jeremy was or how incredibly tricky his mom was and they had somehow got a ring out to Jeremy and he proposed to me there.
As we sat in this beautiful garden both glistening with new love. This crazy lady drove by in a golf cart. She offered us some water. We told her no knowing that we both were totally drinking each other in, when she asked if we had just got engaged. This lady totally had the crazy cat lady look to her and there was something in her smile that made me think she had several sweaters with cats embroidered on them waiting to greet her when she got home. When we replied in unison that yes we were engaged (we smiled sheepishly at each other) she said,"Do you mind if I give you some advice?" I thought for sure she was going to say something like: "Always make sure that your cat litter is fresh" or "Marriages will come and go but Cats last forever" but instead she looked at us and said " Any marriage will last as long as you have three people in it. You, your spouse and God." She then gave us a couple of lollipops and rode off into the sunset in her crazy little golf cart. We sat there in stunned silence. How true she has been. I know that as Jeremy and I work to increase our faith and our individual relationship with our Heavenly Father we draw closer as husband and wife. Anyhow that was the crazy lady with some seriously sane advice.
But what, o internet public, who secretly reads my secret blog, is the best marriage advice you have received or like to give?
My advice lately has been: In marriage it is not 50/50 it's 100/100 as each of us tries to serve each other in our relationships and give fully of oneself there really isn't anyone who is losing out.
Ya I should word that better but it's late and I'm tired. Anyhow maybe if you give me a comment with good advice I can type it up and send it into the Ensign and you can be published.. Well goodnight to all and to all a happy marriage.

1 comment:

Kaylene said...

That's really sweet, I totally remember your story from your Bridal Shower (6 years ago, wow!). Fun times. :)

I think there's two party to my biggest "advice." Maybe it's not so much advice, but theory on what helps a marriage be good besides what you've already covered.

1)Talk. Talk a lot, don't be afraid to be silly, or say something that doesn't exactly make sense out loud. Be honest a open. (where the man generally needs to work but important for both)

2)Think before you talk. Make sure what you're saying isn't hurtful, and is what you really mean. (where the woman generally needs to work, but again, important from both sides)

Fine line balance, but when we get it thrown off we're a lot more likely to have a rough time.